School for over 100 years
The school is designed by Balthazar Lange, and was built in the period 1915-16. The school opened as a primary/lower secondary school in 1917 before it was closed down in 1984. The school building is protected by the Planning and Building Act because of its high architectural quality and high environmental value with its dominant position in the landscape. The historical building is a Nordic baroque building.
Second World War
During the Second World War, the school was requisitioned and was used as barracks and headquarters for the German SS forces in Norway. There was also map printing at the school, and air defense guns on the roof. Reichsführer SS Heinrich Himmler visited the school on two occasions in 1941.
Since 1984, there has been Norwegian education for adults in Dynekilgata 10.